CLASSIC PRAWN COCKTAIL AND CRISPY GLASS VIOLET POTATO BY CHEF WALTER DEE.....
Featuring Chef Walter Dee, master of Plating skills , he shares his recipe of Classic Prawn Cocktail and Crispy Glass Violet Potato. So lets check his recipe and about him.
Chef Walter currently heading the Team of Brilliant chefs of TURTLE BAY GRILL AND BAR at one of the luxurious property in Abu Dhabi SAADIYAT ROTANA & VILLA. But before heading towards Abu Dhabi Chef Walter gain quality experience in some of the very famous properties in Dubai includes Atlantis The Palm, Burj Al Arab, Dukes, Hilton, Shangri La. He worked with some of the very good chefs in the industry got trained under them and now he is the master and trained his team as he needs. Hail from Malaysia , Chef Walter along side with European cuisine , he have good knowledge of Asian cuisine which he uses very often in his dishes. He like fusion cuisine as he believes fusion cuisine is good both for chefs and for guests as a chef , one can be creative , increase his knowledge and from guest point of view they can have really different tastes sometimes. As same he did in his dish classic prawn cocktail in which he deconstruct it , adding violet potato , instead of blanch the prawns he confit prawns in butter which gives nice flavour to the dish.He add that classic dishes should be classic in taste but yes one can do styling of the dishes in different manner and it is necessary also because of the new trends in food.
Cooking is like a music, excellent chords make the melodies good. Same as cooking with right elements would be a great taste. That is called ART
Chef Walter's message for the budding chefs is to "Never stop learning ,keep always open your mind for the new ideas and think as a artist. Be a good cook forget about the chef , you will become a good chef once you become a good cook and always respect and display a right kind of attitude towards work".
What is Prawn Cocktail, well its an authentic dish from long time back and almost you will find this in ever ones menu. Its a seafood dish made up of prawns ( either with shell or without , its a choice) and bound with cocktail sauce which also called MARIE ROSE SAUCE and served in cocktail glass.
What is Marie Rose Sauce- A sauce which is mix up with prawns or sometimes serve as a dip with prawns mayonnaise, tomato ketchup, cayenne pepper and Tabasco or Worcestershire, lemon juice, salt and freshly ground black pepper.
What is the difference in Prawns and Shrimps - Prawns are typically larger than shrimp. Prawns measuring less than 5 cm are called shrimps
So Lets Check Out his Recipe for Prawns Cocktail
Prawns 16/20 100g
Sundried Tomato 10g
Lemon Zest 4g
Dill Leaves 4g
Red Onion 10g
Crispy Glass Purple Potato 10g
Marie Rose 40g
Lime and Corinader Aioli 20g
Baby gem 20g
Micro Cress 5 g
1. Take a Pan, Put it on fire and add some butter in that , add some herbs and prawns and cook it on slow fire for 25 min. After that take out the prawns and cool down and then roughly chopped the prawns, sun dried tomatoes, onion and dice the cucumber,chopped dill and grate the lemon zest.
2. Now take a mixing bowl , put all the above ingredients and mix it with Marie Rose Sauce,at last add lemon juice .
2. For Marie rose sauce: Place the mayonnaise in a bowl and stir in the tomato ketchup, cayenne pepper and Tabasco or Worcestershire sauce. Add lemon juice to taste and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cover and chill in the fridge for at least 2 hrs before serving.
3. For Lime and Coriander Aioli: Blend the Japanese mayo with confit garlic clove, chopped onion, cilantro, paprika and salt until all the ingredients are well blended. Continue blending while adding the lime juice. Taste, add salt.
4 .For Crispy glass purple potato: Wash the purple potatoes in cold water and dry them with a paper towel. Place the cleaned potatoes on a cutting board and make a slit into each one about 1cm thick.
5. Next, place the potatoes in a bowl and add the olive oil & salt. Toss to combine. Place the potatoes on a baking sheet and into the pre-heated oven for 25 minutes. Pour four cups of water into a pot and bring it to the temperature right under a boil. Place the baked potatoes into a clean bowl and pour the hot liquid over it. Cover the top of the bowl and let it sit at room temperature for two hours.
6.Remove the potatoes and save for another dish. Strain the liquid using a fine mash strainer. Place the stock into an airtight container and chill. Pour the chilled stock into a pot over medium high heat and add 4 tbsp of the potato starch.
7. Whisk the mixture immediately. The starch will stick to the bottom a bit. Continue whisking the starch and stock until the mixture turns into a gel. Place a piece of parchment paper on a baking sheet. Pour the gel into a squeeze bottle; squeeze the gel on the baking paper with round shape and Place in the dehydrated 10 hours. In low heat oil fry the gel and keep aside for chill.
8. For Guacamole take avocado, peel it off, mash it with fork, add chopped onion, chopped coriander, lemon juice and just give it one blend and keep aside
Take a round cutter, on a round plate . Take a spoon, fill it up with prawn cocktail and arrange in the cutter, add guacamole on top. Add one confit prawn on the plate with a dash of Marie rose sauce, Place the purple potato crisp on the side. garnish with micro cress and servve.